Moon City Press is a regional non-profit press that publishes stories, scholarship, and histories from the Ozarks, and also sponsors the Moon City Poetry Award and the Moon City Fiction Award, annual competitions for poetry and short story collections open to all writers. In addition, Moon City Press has launched the Missouri Book Award, given annually to a book of fiction, poetry, or nonfiction, written by a Missouri-born or Missouri-based author.
Our annual literary anthology, Moon City Review, accepts submissions of fiction, poetry, nonfiction, translations, and book reviews. We are now accepting and reading submissions for the 2016 edition.
Book authors may use this submission system to submit a prospectus or enter one of the competitions. Feel free to examine our current booklist on our site at http://moon-city-press.com.
• Individual pieces in the collection may be published in periodicals, but not yet collected and published in full-length manuscript form.
• Entries may include short shorts, short fiction, and up to one novella (but should not be only a novella). Please include a table of contents and acknowledgements page.
• Open to all writers not associated with Moon City Press or its staff, past or present. Students, employees, and alumni of Missouri State University are ineligible.
• Manuscripts should fall between 30,000 and 65,000 words.
• Manuscripts should be submitted via Submittable, https://mooncitypress.submittable.com.
• A $25 entry fee is due via Submittable at the time of submission; entry fees are nonrefundable.
• Simultaneous submissions are permitted, though manuscripts should be withdrawn immediately if accepted elsewhere.
• Deadline: October 1, 2016. Finalists will be notified in Summer 2017 and the winner will be published in Spring 2018.
• First prize: $1000, publication by Moon City Press (including international distribution through the University of Chicago Press), and a standard royalty contract. Ten additional finalists will be named and considered for publication.
• For questions, please visit http://mooncitypress.com/ or contact Moon City editor Michael Czyzniejewski at email@example.com.
Moon City Press is not accepting non-fiction book proposals at this time.
This category is for Moon City Review. Authors are limited to six poems total per submission period. Please submit the file as .doc or .docx. Please address any correspondence to Poetry Editor Sara Burge, firstname.lastname@example.org.
This category is for Moon City Review. Authors are limited to one story (up to 7,000 words) or three shorts per submission. Please address any correspondence to Fiction Editor, Joel Coltharp, Joel114@live.missouristate.edu.
This category is for Moon City Review. Authors are limited to one essay (up to 8,000 words) or three shorts per submission.
This category is for Moon City Review 2015. We want reviews of contemporary fiction, nonfiction, or poetry books that will be released between now and the publication of the 2015 edition early in 2015. Potential reviewers should use the text box to send a query.
This category is for Moon City Review. Translators should submit works from contemporary authors and should be ready to submit both the translation and the original piece, as well as proof of permission to translate.